Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Opening September 24
NEW ORLEANS – Ochsner Health System’s (Ochsner) eagerly awaited Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine will open on Tuesday, September 24. The state-of-the-art facility was specifically designed for orthopedic and sports medicine surgery and will offer the most advanced anesthesia and pain techniques, resulting in less pain and a quicker recovery. Located at 1221 S. Clearview Pkwy., Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine underwent extensive renovations, which began in October 2017. More than 3,500 patients will be cared for annually at the hospital.
Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is a surgical hospital equipped for outpatient and inpatient surgery with:
- 6 spacious operating rooms, 2 of which are designed for robotics
- 22 contemporary and comfortable pre- and post-procedural rooms
- Overnight recovery suite with 15 private patient rooms
The 58,000 square foot hospital is a part of Ochsner’s Optimal Hospital Program, which offers advanced, patient-centered care using innovative devices and materials including patient tablets, wireless vitals monitoring, copper-infused linens and surfaces and red night lighting. Designed with style, comfort and convenience in mind by Rozas Ward, the new facility features spa-inspired décor in its public waiting spaces and all private rooms, and offers a complimentary in-house chef, concierge services and valet parking. Construction was completed by Clement Building Company.
“Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine provides comprehensive and compassionate healthcare in a serene environment,” said Leslie Thomas, MD, Ochsner senior anesthesiologist.
George Chimento, MD, System Chairman of the Ochsner Orthopedic Surgery Department added, “We’ve designed this space with our patients in mind, utilizing the latest technology and equipment to get people back to living their best lives quickly.”
Innovative services and features of Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine include:
- Same-Day Total Joint Replacement Surgeries – Minimally invasive, same-day total joint replacement surgeries are available for eligible patients.
- MAKO Robotic Surgery - Ochsner has the most experienced MAKO Robotic Surgery Team in South Louisiana, with over six years of experience performing hundreds of cases. The robotically- assisted procedures have more accurate component positioning, quicker return to function, less pain and less complications. A more accurate component positioning is associated with greater longevity of the artificial joint.
- Opioid sparing surgery and pain control - incorporating the latest techniques in regional anesthesiology
- Team of more than 80 experienced health care professionals - working together to bring the most advanced and patient centered care.
Other services located onsite include:
- Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute - The Ochsner Sports Medicine team includes nationally and internationally recognized orthopedic surgeons, fellowship trained sports medicine physicians with expertise in orthobiologics, a team of more than 80 highly qualified athletic trainers and a care team of advanced practice providers, sports medicine assistants and navigators who work get patients back to their active lifestyle.
- Ochsner Therapy and Wellness - Our highly-skilled physical, occupational and speech therapy teams work with patients to restore the loss of function associated with illness, injuries, developmental disorders or the process of aging.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation – Physicians who specialize in the treatment of a wide range of problems from sore shoulders to spinal cord injuries.
- Performance Training - With a focus on total athletic performance and producing top talent, Ochsner Performance Training teaches best practices and safety in sports performance, led by educated professionals and a diverse group of performance specialists.
- Primary Care – Orthopedic and Sports medicine specialists work in collaboration with Ochsner’s primary care team to monitor patients’ overall health and wellness.
The new facility is connected to the entire Ochsner Health network of facilities and physicians through Epic – Ochsner’s integrated electronic health record system, which enables Ochsner physicians to securely share patient information, resulting in a higher level of coordinated care across the system. Patients can also use personalized MyOchsner accounts to access tests results and schedule appointments online through personalized MyOchsner accounts.
For more information or to make an appointment, please visit www.ochsner.org/elmwood.
About Ochsner Health System
Ochsner Health is Louisiana’s largest non-profit, academic, healthcare system. Driven by a mission to Serve, Heal, Lead, Educate and Innovate, coordinated clinical and hospital patient care is provided across the region by Ochsner's 40 owned, managed and affiliated hospitals and specialty hospitals, and more than 100 health centers and urgent care centers. Ochsner is the #1 ranked hospital in Louisiana by U.S. News & World Report and is recognized as a “Best Hospital” across two specialty categories caring for patients from all 50 states and more than 70 countries worldwide each year. Ochsner Hospital for Children is the only facility in Louisiana to be recognized as a top 50 children’s hospital by U.S. News & World Report for three consecutive years. Ochsner employs nearly 25,000 employees and over 4,500 employed and affiliated physicians in over 90 medical specialties and subspecialties and conducts more than 700 clinical research studies. Ochsner Health is proud to be a tobacco-free environment. For more information, please visit ochsner.org and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.