Who We Are
Founded in 1942 by five physicians, Ochsner Health System is one of the largest independent academic health systems in the United States and Louisiana’s largest not-for-profit health system. With 19 hospitals owned, managed and affiliated, more than 50 health centers, more than 16,000 employees, over 2,500 affiliated physicians in more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties, Ochsner is Louisiana’s largest health system.
In addition, each year, more than 250 Ochsner-sponsored medical residents are training in 24 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited programs. Ochsner also hosts more than 600 medical students and 550 allied health students in clinical rotations.
In 2008, Ochsner partnered with the University of Queensland Medical School – one of the top medical schools in the world -- to create the University of Queenland – Ochsner Clinical School.
Ochsner is the only Louisiana hospital recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a "Best Hospital" in nine different specialty categories caring for patients from all 50 states and more than 90 countries worldwide each year. Ochsner conducts over 750 clinical research studies annually and is proud to provide a tobacco-free environment for our employees and our patients.
For more information on Ochsner’s history, please click here.
Areas We Serve
Ochsner serves patients from across Louisiana, every state in the nation, and more than 70 different countries. Ochsner hospitals and physician offices are located throughout Southeast Louisiana including the Greater New Orleans area, Slidell, Covington, Raceland and Baton Rouge.
Click on each facilities for more information.
- Jefferson Highway – Ochsner Medical Center is the original hospital and home to a majority of academic programs. This 505-bed, acute care facility is synonymous with the Ochsner brand and is highly regarded by the community. The most complex cases (transplant, new procedures, etc.) are performed at this facility. Attached to the hospital is the Brent House Hotel which caters to families of international, transplant and other complex and other extended-stay patients.
- Kenner - Since opening in 1985, Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner has the advantages of a large urban medical center in a community setting. This area’s only full-service community hospital offers 24-hour Level II emergency care, maternity and women’s services, an advanced-technology Outpatient Diagnostic and Therapy Center, an Infusion Center, a renowned Wound Care and Hyperbarics program and three conveniently located health centers. The hospital has partnerships with LSU and offers intensive care, heart and orthopedic programs and innovations. Ochsner Kenner also offers one of the largest multidisciplinary Neuroendocrine Tumor Programs in the U.S.
- West Bank –This 181-bed hospital offers primary and specialty care in five local health centers. The hospital has an OB Nurse Navigator program, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Concierge Program to enhance patient satisfaction as well as excellent obstetrical, women’s, full-service emergency department, orthopedic, cardiology and urology services.
- Baptist – This 156-bed acute care facility dates back to 1926 and has served generations of families in the Uptown New Orleans area. Ochsner Baptist has a full-service Emergency Department and guarantees a doctor will see a patient within 30 minutes. Other services include cardiology, orthopedics, intensive care, imaging center, laser vision center and more. In early 2013, Ochsner Medical Center on Jefferson Highway relocated OB and NICU services to this hospital, transforming it into our primary Women’s Services hospital in the New Orleans area.
- Elmwood – The only non-acute hospital, Elmwood features a hospice, LTAC, inpatient physical rehabilitation facilities, as well as a fully integrated sports medicine program that works with New Orleans Saints and Pelicans players and coaches. In 2012, Ochsner launched its critical care program here and this location serves as its home base.
- Baton Rouge – Ochsner Medical Center – Baton Rouge is full-service acute care 151-bed facility offering all-private rooms, 24-hour emergency care, newly renovated Family Birthing Center and alternate deliveries, such as water births and a certified nurse midwife program. The hospital has advanced specialty care such as open-heart surgery and orthopedic procedures and has been designated a Gyn Epicenter for the da Vinci® Surgical System.
- North Shore –Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore is a full-service, 110-bed acute care hospital that includes a 24-hour emergency room and the only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) on the North Shore. The hospital specializes in cardiac care, pediatric intensive care, physical therapy and rehabilitation and sleep disorders. Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore is accredited by the Joint Commission, the nation's oldest and largest hospital accreditation agency.
- Ochsner St. Anne General Hospital – St. Anne General Hospital in Raceland has 24-hour full-service emergency care, an intensive care unit, newly renovated maternity suites with state-of-the-art monitoring for mothers and babies, inpatient psychiatric services and many advanced medical services including digital mammography and 4-D ultrasound, orthopedics, surgery, OB/GYN and much more.
- Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center – Ochsner Health System worked collaboratively with Terrebonne General Medical Center (TGMC) through a public/private partnership to deliver the crucial safety-net services for the uninsured and under insured and to preserve the academic training programs at Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center. Ochsner manages the day-to-day operations of the156-bed Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center under a management agreement between Ochsner and TGMC.
- Hancock – Hancock Medical is a not-for-profit hospital accredited by The Joint Commission. A dedicated group of more than 100 physicians representing a broad spectrum of medical specialties make up Hancock Medical Center’s active and consulting medical staffs. Combined with the dedication of more than 300 professional staff members, the Hancock Medical health care team strives to provide the highest quality medical care to the patients it serves. Hancock Medical’s mission is to be the community’s health resource.
- St. Charles Parish Hospital – St. Charles Parish Hospital is a not-for-profit 59-bed acute-care facility owned by the citizens of St. Charles Parish. Since 1959, St. Charles Parish Hospital has provided quality healthcare to the residents of the community and the surrounding areas with a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency services. St. Charles Parish Hospital is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- St. Tammany Parish Hospital – A full-service acute care facility committed to providing world-class healthcare and the latest technology, St. Tammany Parish Hospital delivers today’s life-improving procedures with the utmost care to area residents with emphasis on wellness, preventive care and disease management close to home. STPH is a self-supporting not-for-profit community hospital; it receives no tax funding.
- Ochsner Medical Complexes - River Parishes – A department of Ochsner Kenner, our River Parishes Complex offers quality ER and outpatient diagnostics and therapy, specialized physicians and medical services. With the development of a modern medical facility and even more advanced care options, our goal is to meet your needs well into the future. Ochsner Medical Complex – River Parishes provides emergency, outpatient diagnostic and primary care services. You’re covered for full-service surgery and inpatient care at Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner.
Additionally, Ochsner owns Elmwood Fitness centers – the largest fitness and wellness chain in the region with 20,000 members in the Greater New Orleans area.
Ochsner is a homegrown institution devoted to exemplary patient care, medical research and education and community service. Our mission statement characterizes our purpose: to serve, heal, educate, lead and innovate.
We believe that a successful Ochsner is vital to the community. With our scale, the execution of our mission makes the city, region and state a better place to live. Our institution, with more than 16,000 employees, touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and we have more than $1 billion in economic effect in the communities we serve.
Community Outreach Program Focus Areas
- Change the Kids, Change the Future™
- Science Education/ Health Centers
- Childhood Health
- Community Education
- Community Health Partnerships
- Workplace Wellness
- Operation Outreach
Ochsner has over 90 specialties and sub-specialties, including:
- Primary Care
- Women’s Services
- Men’s Services
- Heart & Vascular
- Cancer Services
- Digestive Disorders
- Multi-Organ Transplant
- Sports Medicine
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Program