Facts & Statistics
Who We Are
Founded in 1942 by five physicians, Ochsner Health System is one of the largest independent academic health systems in the United States and Louisiana’s largest not-for-profit health system. With 40 owned, managed and affiliated hospitals and specialty hospitals and more than 100 health centers and urgent care centers, nearly 25,000 employees, over 1,300 employed physicians in more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties, Ochsner is Louisiana’s largest health system.
In addition, each year, more than 291 medical residents and fellows work in 30 different Ochsner-sponsored ACGME accredited residency training programs. Ochsner also hosts more than 650 medical students, 150 advanced practice providers, 1,200 nursing students and over 600 allied health students with over 4,200 student months of education in clinical rotations annually.
For the past 10 years, the Ochsner Clinical School has been partnered with The University of Queensland Medical School in Brisbane, Australia. Our unique medical school model allows Ochsner to train over 450 future doctors across two continents leveraging the strengths and resources of two world-class institutions.
Ochsner is the only Louisiana hospital recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a "Best Hospital" in three different specialty categories. Ochsner conducts more than 700 clinical research studies annually and is proud to provide a tobacco-free environment for our employees and our patients.
For more information on Ochsner’s history, please click here.
Areas We Serve
Ochsner serves patients from across Louisiana, every state in the nation, and more than 80 different countries. Ochsner hospitals and physician offices are located throughout Southeast Louisiana including the Greater New Orleans area, Slidell, Covington, Raceland and Baton Rouge.
Click on each facilities for more information.
- Ochsner Medical Center – Baton Rouge
- Ochsner Medical Center – Jefferson Highway
- Ochsner Baptist Medical Center
- Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner
- Ochsner Medical Center – North Shore
- Ochsner Medical Center – West Bank Campus
- Ochsner St. Anne Hospital
- Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport Academic Medical Center
- Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport -- Monroe Medical Center
- CHRISTUS Ochsner Lake Area
- CHRISTUS Ochsner St. Patrick
- Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center
- Hancock Medical Center
- St. Bernard Parish Hospital
- St. Charles Parish Hospital
- St. Tammany Parish Hospital
- Lafayette General Health (13 hospitals)
- CHRISTUS Health Louisiana (4 hospitals)
- Slidell Memorial Hospital
- Terrebonne General Medical Center
- Glenwood Regional Medical Center
- Southwest Health System (2 hospitals)
- River Place Behavioral Health
- Ochsner West Campus
Additionally, Ochsner owns Ochsner Fitness centers – the largest fitness and wellness chain in the region with 20,000 members in the Greater New Orleans area.
Ochsner is a homegrown institution devoted to exemplary patient care, medical research and education and community service. Our mission statement characterizes our purpose: to serve, heal, educate, lead and innovate.
We believe that a successful Ochsner is vital to the community. With our scale, the execution of our mission makes the city, region and state a better place to live. Our institution, with more than 17,000 employees, touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and we have more than $1 billion in economic effect in the communities we serve.
Community Outreach Program Focus Areas
- Change the Kids, Change the Future™
- Science Education/ Health Centers
- Childhood Health
- Community Education
- Community Health Partnerships
- Workplace Wellness
- Operation Outreach
Ochsner has over 90 specialties and sub-specialties, including:
- Primary Care
- Women’s Services
- Men’s Services
- Heart & Vascular
- Cancer Services
- Digestive Disorders
- Multi-Organ Transplant
- Sports Medicine
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Program