Who We Are
Founded in 1942 by five physicians, Ochsner Health System is one of the largest independent academic health systems in the United States and Louisiana’s largest not-for-profit health system. With 30 hospitals owned, managed and affiliated, more than 60 health centers, more than 17,000 employees, over 2,500 affiliated physicians in more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties, Ochsner is Louisiana’s largest health system.
In addition, each year, more than 275 medical residents and fellows work in 27 different Ochsner-sponsored ACGME accredited residency training programs. Ochsner also hosts more than 700 medical students, 1588 nursing students and 600 allied health students in clinical rotations annually.
In 2009, Ochsner partnered with the University of Queensland Medical School to create the University of Queenland – Ochsner Clinical School.
Ochsner is the only Louisiana hospital recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a "Best Hospital" in three different specialty categories. Ochsner conducts more than 600 clinical research studies annually and is proud to provide a tobacco-free environment for our employees and our patients.
For more information on Ochsner’s history, please click here.
Areas We Serve
Ochsner serves patients from across Louisiana, every state in the nation, and more than 80 different countries. Ochsner hospitals and physician offices are located throughout Southeast Louisiana including the Greater New Orleans area, Slidell, Covington, Raceland and Baton Rouge.
Click on each facilities for more information.
14. Lafayette General Health (7 hospitals)
- Jefferson Highway – Ochsner Medical Center is the original hospital and home to a majority of academic programs. This 602-bed, acute care facility is synonymous with the Ochsner brand and is highly regarded by the community. The most complex cases (transplant, new procedures, etc.) are performed at this facility. Attached to the hospital is the Brent House Hotel which caters to families of international, transplant and other complex and other extended-stay patients.
- Kenner - Since opening in 1985, Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner has the advantages of a large urban medical center in a community setting. This area’s only full-service community hospital offers 24-hour Level II emergency care, maternity and women’s services, an advanced-technology Outpatient Diagnostic and Therapy Center, an Infusion Center, a renowned Wound Care and Hyperbarics program and three conveniently located health centers. The hospital has partnerships with LSU and offers intensive care, heart and orthopedic programs and innovations. Ochsner Kenner also offers one of the largest multidisciplinary Neuroendocrine Tumor Programs in the U.S.
- West Bank –This 181-bed hospital offers primary and specialty care in five local health centers. The hospital has an OB Nurse Navigator program, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Concierge Program to enhance patient satisfaction as well as excellent obstetrical, women’s, full-service emergency department, orthopedic, cardiology and urology services.
- Baptist – This 156-bed acute care facility dates back to 1926 and has served generations of families in the Uptown New Orleans area. Ochsner Baptist has a full-service Emergency Department and guarantees a doctor will see a patient within 30 minutes. Other services include cardiology, orthopedics, intensive care, imaging center, laser vision center and more. In early 2013, Ochsner Medical Center on Jefferson Highway relocated OB and NICU services to this hospital, transforming it into our primary Women’s Services hospital in the New Orleans area.
- Elmwood – The only non-acute hospital, Elmwood features a hospice, LTAC, inpatient physical rehabilitation facilities, as well as a fully integrated sports medicine program that works with New Orleans Saints and Pelicans players and coaches. In 2012, Ochsner launched its critical care program here and this location serves as its home base.
- Baton Rouge – Ochsner Medical Center – Baton Rouge is full-service acute care 151-bed facility offering all-private rooms, 24-hour emergency care, newly renovated Family Birthing Center and alternate deliveries, such as water births and a certified nurse midwife program. The hospital has advanced specialty care such as open-heart surgery and orthopedic procedures and has been designated a Gyn Epicenter for the da Vinci® Surgical System.
- North Shore –Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore is a full-service, 110-bed acute care hospital that includes a 24-hour emergency room and the only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) on the North Shore. The hospital specializes in cardiac care, pediatric intensive care, physical therapy and rehabilitation and sleep disorders. Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore is accredited by the Joint Commission, the nation's oldest and largest hospital accreditation agency.
- Ochsner St. Anne General Hospital – St. Anne General Hospital in Raceland has 24-hour full-service emergency care, an intensive care unit, newly renovated maternity suites with state-of-the-art monitoring for mothers and babies, inpatient psychiatric services and many advanced medical services including digital mammography and 4-D ultrasound, orthopedics, surgery, OB/GYN and much more.
- Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center – Ochsner Health System worked collaboratively with Terrebonne General Medical Center (TGMC) through a public/private partnership to deliver the crucial safety-net services for the uninsured and under insured and to preserve the academic training programs at Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center. Ochsner manages the day-to-day operations of the156-bed Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center under a management agreement between Ochsner and TGMC.
- Hancock – Hancock Medical is a not-for-profit hospital accredited by The Joint Commission. A dedicated group of more than 100 physicians representing a broad spectrum of medical specialties make up Hancock Medical Center’s active and consulting medical staffs. Combined with the dedication of more than 300 professional staff members, the Hancock Medical health care team strives to provide the highest quality medical care to the patients it serves. Hancock Medical’s mission is to be the community’s health resource.
- St. Charles Parish Hospital – St. Charles Parish Hospital is a not-for-profit 59-bed acute-care facility owned by the citizens of St. Charles Parish. Since 1959, St. Charles Parish Hospital has provided quality healthcare to the residents of the community and the surrounding areas with a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency services. St. Charles Parish Hospital is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- St. Tammany Parish Hospital – A full-service acute care facility committed to providing world-class healthcare and the latest technology, St. Tammany Parish Hospital delivers today’s life-improving procedures with the utmost care to area residents with emphasis on wellness, preventive care and disease management close to home. STPH is a self-supporting not-for-profit community hospital; it receives no tax funding.
- Lafayette General Health (LGH) – LGH is a non-profit, community-owned regional healthcare system committed to always delivering excellence. LGH serves the south-central region of Louisiana by aligning with facilities across a 10-parish area known as Acadiana. LGH’s flagship hospital, Lafayette General Medical Center, in operation since 1911, is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation that does not pay out any revenue to shareholders as for-profits do. LGH also owns or manages Lafayette General Southwest, Lafayette General Surgical Hospital, St. Martin Hospital, University Hospital & Clinics, Acadia General Hospital and Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital, and has several affiliations with facilities across the region. Both Lafayette General Medical Center and University Hospital & Clinics are major teaching hospitals, providing graduate medical education across many disciplines. LGH owns LGMD, a non-profit corporation that operates and manages several physician clinics including Family Medicine and Internal Medicine, as well as many specialists and surgeons. In 2014, LGH offered charity services in excess of $250 million. LGH property and assets total nearly $450 million, employing approximately 3,500 staff. For more information about LGH and its affiliates, visit LafayetteGeneral.com.
- CHRISTUS Health Louisiana – CHRISTUS Health Louisiana is a region of CHRISTUS Health, a Catholic, faith-based system sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio and Houston. CHRISTUS Health Louisiana is comprised of six hospitals, two managed care facilities, a long-term care facility and multiple urgent and primary care practices throughout Louisiana. The three regions (northern, central and southwestern) of Louisiana are committed to providing advanced health care resources and access to services for more than 27 parishes throughout Louisiana. CHRISTUS Health Louisiana hospitals have been recognized nationally for exceptional outcomes yearly by reputable third party organizations such as Healthgrades, the American Heart Association, Modern Healthcare and Consumer Choice. Throughout its three geographical regions, the CHRISTUS Health LA system provides support for 25 school based health centers, are designated as Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and provided more than $15.9 million in community services last year throughout Louisiana.
- Slidell Memorial Hospital (SMH) - Slidell Memorial Hospital is a full-service 229-bed acute care not-for-profit community hospital located at 1001 Gause Blvd., in the heart of Slidell. The hospital’s mission is to improve the quality of life in our community. Founded in 1959, SMH serves as a primary healthcare resource for families in St. Tammany Parish, La.; and Pearl River County, Miss. The Slidell Memorial Hospital Regional Cancer Center also provides comprehensive care to patients across the Gulf Coast. Other SMH facilities include the SMH Imaging Center, SMH Heart Center and the SMH Sleep Center.
- Terrebonne General Medical Center (TGMC) - Terrebonne General Medical Center (TGMC) is a non-profit, award-winning acute care facility providing a new way of health and wellness for south Louisiana. TGMC offers comprehensive services including a multi-disciplinary Healthy Lifestyles Center, Women’s Health Center, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center at TGMC, as well as accredited cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, orthopedic, and emergency care services—all contained on the same campus for patient comfort and ease. TGMC’s mission is to provide exceptional healthcare with compassion, and boast 1,400 employees, and over 300 physicians. TGMC works with the Ochsner Health System through a public/private partnership to deliver crucial safety-net services for the uninsured and under insured, while preserving academic training programs at Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center.
- Glenwood Regional Medical Center (GRMC) - Glenwood Regional Medical Center is a 278-bed, state-of-the-art hospital located in West Monroe, Louisiana. Glenwood offers comprehensive healthcare services, including emergency care, heart care, advanced surgical procedures, diagnostic imaging, maternity care, rehabilitation services, and help for a broad range of medical conditions. Equipped with the most advanced medical technology, and staffed by a team of highly skilled healthcare professionals, Glenwood is committed to providing high-quality care in a friendly hospital environment. Glenwood has over 400 physicians on staff and over 1,000 loyal employees.
- Southwest Health System - Southwest Health System is an integrated healthcare delivery network serving residents of Southwest Mississippi and beyond. The organization is comprised of Southwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center (Southwest Regional), Cardiovascular Institute of Mississippi, Mississippi Cancer Institute, SMRMC Ambulatory Surgery Center, St. Luke Home Health & Hospice, SMRMC Digestive Diseases Center, Southwest Center for Rehabilitation, Southwest Regional Women’s Center Maternity Suites, Family Practice/Internal Medicine Clinics and Lawrence County Hospital. As one of the most comprehensive healthcare resources in Southwest Mississippi, Southwest Regional is a modern facility with 165 licensed beds offering advanced equipment and a broad range of services to its patients, including a Level III Trauma Center. Southwest Regional is a member of the Mississippi Hospital Association (MHA), American Hospital Association (AHA), and the Voluntary Hospitals of America, Inc. (VHA), and is accredited by DNV Healthcare, Inc. Southwest Regional is the hub of the total complement of healthcare services provided by Southwest Health System. For more information, visit www.smrmc.com.
Additionally, Ochsner owns Elmwood Fitness centers – the largest fitness and wellness chain in the region with 20,000 members in the Greater New Orleans area.
Ochsner is a homegrown institution devoted to exemplary patient care, medical research and education and community service. Our mission statement characterizes our purpose: to serve, heal, educate, lead and innovate.
We believe that a successful Ochsner is vital to the community. With our scale, the execution of our mission makes the city, region and state a better place to live. Our institution, with more than 17,000 employees, touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and we have more than $1 billion in economic effect in the communities we serve.
Community Outreach Program Focus Areas
- Change the Kids, Change the Future™
- Science Education/ Health Centers
- Childhood Health
- Community Education
- Community Health Partnerships
- Workplace Wellness
- Operation Outreach
Ochsner has over 90 specialties and sub-specialties, including:
- Primary Care
- Women’s Services
- Men’s Services
- Heart & Vascular
- Cancer Services
- Digestive Disorders
- Multi-Organ Transplant
- Sports Medicine
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Program